This type of massage involves the manipulation of soft tissue
The major purpose of sports massage is to lessen the tension and to separate muscle fibres which tends to build up in the soft tissues during exercise, also due to repetitive movements at work or everyday activities. In addition to that, the massage breaks down lesions quicker and more effectively in order to restore suppleness and softness in the body.
With the right application and ongoing communication with the client, this type of massage can enhance every working day and athletic performance of the person, speeds up ongoing recovery and prevent further injuries.
The Origins Of Sports Massage
Massage has been known already over 3000 years ago in China, India and Greece. At the end of the 18th century Henrik Ling developed the form of treatment now widely recognised as Swedish massage. Many of his ideas created the foundations of modern sports massage techniques involving effleurage (long strokes), petrissage (kneading), frictions, stretching and compression. It started to be widely recognised and performed in the 1990s in the UK.
Contraindications Of Sports Massage
A contraindication is a condition or a factor/s when the massage should not be performed. Carrying with the message can be more harmful than beneficial or even cause serious medical problems to a client instead. See the listed contraindications here:
MUSCULOSKELETAL ISSUES: Strains, Sprains, Fractures, Myositis, Joint replacement, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis
CIRCULATORY ISSUES: Heart Conditions, Hypertension, Hypotension, DVT, Phlebitis, Varicose Veins, Haemophilia, CV disease
NEUROLOGICAL ISSUES: Epilepsy, Sciatica, Neuralgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
SKIN ISSUES: Eczema, Acne, Athletes Foot, Warts, Dermatitis, Psoriasis, Impetigo, Cuts, Bruises, Burns, Undiagnosed Lumps
RESPIRATORY ISSUES: Asthma, Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Sinusitis, Cold, Cough, Flu
IMMUNE ISSUES: Cancer, Rheumatoid Arthritis, HIV, AIDS
DIGESTIVE ISSUES: IBS, Constipation, Diarrhoea, GallStones, Kidney Stone, Urinary Tract Infection
MISCELLANEOUS ISSUES: Diabetes, Allergies, Recent Operations, Major Operations, Pregnancy, Unstable Pregnancy, Glandular Fever, Headaches, Psychological Issues, Menstrual Issues, Substance Abuse, Feeling Unwell.
*You should always consult your doctor when it comes to your health, or before you start any treatment.
Benefits And Effects Of Sports Massage
- It is beneficial to both athletes and ANYONE suffering from ongoing injuries, chronic pain or limited range of movements.
- It maintains the physical body in better and optimal condition, prevents loss of mobility and helps to restore movement of injured muscle tissues.
- It aids in improving imbalances in soft tissue that may be caused due to repetitive physical activity or trauma.
- Sports massage tends to be deeper and more intense opposed to regular relaxing therapy in order to reduce muscle soreness and stiffness in a quicker manner.
- It increases venous and lymphatic flow (the main pressure of the massage is directed towards the heart) to help with the lymphatic drainage.
- It improves range of motion, muscle flexibility and helps with the healing of the tensed and/or overused muscles and tendons.
- It takes care of the ligaments and tendons while freeing the fascia which covers the entire muscular system (also known as the fine sheath) and if it happens to be out of alignment,it may create a variety of pains, aches and also injuries.
- It frees muscle adhesions (tension), softens scar tissues after injury and relieves muscle pain and spasms.
Is The Key
I always adjust to my clients and make sure the pressure and pace of the massage is specifically right for YOU. Your safety and well-being is my priority!
I have previously worked at gyms and provided services for athletes and non-athletes of all kinds: heavy weightlifters, marathon runners, rugby players, gym members, dancers and office workers. Anyone is welcome!
If that sounds good to you, why don’t you give me a call or email me HERE to find out more about my services. If you are interested please get in touch so we can arrange appropriate times and dates.
My Clients Said